This month we’re supporting and raising awareness of National Pet Month. At Touring Tails we are animal lovers. We’re passionate about our dogs, and take our responsibilities as dog owners very seriously.
The National Pet Month (NPM) organisation are dedicated to raising awareness of responsible pet ownership. Through educational campaigns, celebrating the benefits of our pets and encourage fundraising for the nation’s needy pets.
As an example, we found this useful list on the NPM website:
Top 10 Tips for responsible pet ownership.
- Think carefully before getting a pet and learn about its special requirements.
- Ensure your pet is sociable and well trained.
- Provide a nutritious and well balanced diet.
- Provide suitable housing and bedding.
- Clean up after your pet and worm it regularly.
- Protect against disease. Your vet can provide you with advice.
- Prevent unwanted litters and neuter your pet when appropriate.
- Groom your pet regularly.
- Control your pet and ensure it is properly identified.
- Take out pet insurance for dogs, cats, rabbits and horses to cover against unexpected veterinary fees and third party liability
We think all pets deserve to be cared for and loved. We like to believe that the majority of the UK are pet lovers too. With a little help and education all pet owners can be responsible owners, and they will be rewarded with a loving, loyal best friend.
How our pets are helping us
As we find ourselves in lockdown during the COVID-19 virus health pandemic, our pets are playing a vital role in our mental wellness. Like most people, Dave and I aren’t used to being at home all the time. We like to explore and we like to travel in our van. We’re already feeling the restrictions and starting to climb the walls.
Thankfully our pets are helping reduce our stress levels by providing us with a purpose each day. Here are some of the things we do:
- Play doggie games like fetch and hide and seek around the house
- Daily run with the dogs as part of our permitted outdoor exercise session
- Continuing Coco’s puppy training. Our puppy classes have switched to online ‘Zoom’ virtual classes. It allows us to stay connected with our trainer and keeps us focussed with daily tasks to focus on.
- Afternoon sofa snuggle (and belly tickles) with a book or movie to relax. Stress and anxiety all gone in minutes.
Having a daily routine with our pets during this unusual and difficult time is really helping us to stay connected and stay safe.
Links to more information:
- National Pet Month Organisation – a charity dedicated to supporting UK pet charities AND educating our nation on the importance of responsible pet care.
We wish you, your family and your pets a safe and healthy April.
Touring Tails xxx
#NPMOnline | #NationalPetMonth
Note: At Touring Tails we love to support animal charities and would love to do more as our website grows. We shall be making a donation to the National Pet Month Charity during April to show our support and give thanks for all that they do. By using our affiliate links and discount codes, you are helping us raise money, some of which we donate to animal charities like this one. We also have a monthly subscription to Battersea Dogs charity.